The Clifton Inn was expanded in the 1920's to
incorporate a house and two cottages, the beer garden which hadn't been used since the 1920's was re-instated in
Does not appear in White's Directory of 1850, however the local newspaper, the Express & Echo insists that the building or at least one of them existed as early as 1790. The inn was established in one of these cottages in the 1850's.
The Clifton House Inn appears in Trewman's Exeter Pocket Journal and Almanac in 1856 with an address of Summerland Street. The current inn is actually on the old Summerland Street / Clifton Rd corner.
It is therefore very likely, the Clifton Inn was originally known as the Clifton House Inn. T. Beedle was resident.
Up until around 2001, the pub consisted of two bar areas, a lounge bar and public bar. It underwent a major re-furshment and is now one large bar with pool tables and darts. Very popular with young and older alike and became more so when many of the locals from the Globe Inn up the road decided on a change of local.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002, 2004