The Honiton Inn appears to have been built as a large house with a door at the front
(access is now via a side entrance). It was thatched in 1738 when many of the buildings in Paris Street were
In June 1872 Mr J Wippel passed away and the inn was put on the market comprising, "dwelling house and shop adjoining the inn, having a frontage of 59 ft and a depth of 179 ft, containing a bar, smoking room, tap room, kitchen and excellent bed and sitting rooms. There is a commodius cellar, a brewhouse, four stall stable, a good skittle alley and a well of excellent spring water".
It was up for sale again in 1795 and a City valuation in 1838 indicates that it had it's own brewery and skittle alley. The current building however appears to have been rebuilt in the early C20th using early English half-timbers.
The Inn is the only building left standing from pre-war Exeter in Paris Street. It survived the blitz and also the building of the roundabout and Western Way in the 1960's together with two other buildings that once stood beside it (since demolished).
Paris Street itself was once known as Shitbrook Street. It ran down to Shit-brook. In 1663, Jenkin's History, records that the road was 'much out of repair and full of dangerous pits'.
An auction of the pub's contents took place in 2008 after Bette Robertson who had run the pub with her husband Frank (died 1974) had run the pub since 1948 passed away. The pub was closed in mid 2008.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002, 2004