The Great Western Hotel was originally named the Railway Inn,
with the original building (now housing the Loco Bar) dating from 1848, just after the Bristol and Exeter railway
was completed (1844). The main part of the building however dates from around 1860 when the new St David's station was
constructed by the Bristol and Exeter railway company.
The directories show how the name of the railway was adopted between 1895 and 1906, only to revert back to the "Railway Hotel" briefly when Trust Houses took over around 1919. By 1934 the listings reveal The Great Western Hotel.
The earliest listing is that of J. Hutchings at the Railway Inn on Crediton Road. The EFP also name a J. Hutchings at the Railway Inn on 24th June 1848. The EFP also advertised a paint sale at the Railway Inn on 1st January 1852.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2004