The Queens Head used to stand next to Tremlet's, a hide company on Shilhay,
close to where the BT offices now stand. Relocation to Polsloe Bridge is likely to have taken place in the 1930's.
This pub is now known as The Railwayman.
Click here to access this page.
The original version gets a mention by White (1850) as standing in West Street, resident was William Crocombe but by 1897 Kelly lists Thomas Cook as resident. The 1876 map shows the pub in Edmund Street.
Pigot (1823) lists a Queen Caroline in West Street, possibly the same pub!
Was a better class of hostelry according to PR Betts.
Stuart Callon Copyright ©2002-2004